Hand Therapy & Splinting
CJOT’s Hand Therapy Service is provided by a specialist Occupational Therapist who has completed additional post graduate training in the field.
Our Hand Therapist treats individuals with injuries and conditions that affect the hand and upper limb. Hand Therapy can be utilised following surgical intervention, for non-surgical and chronic conditions and neurological conditions.
Conditions of the upper limb which can be assessed and treated (including splinting) include:
- Neurological conditions; acquired brain injury and progressive neurological conditions
- Rheumatology conditions; inflammatory, degenerative arthritis and post-surgery (joint replacements, arthroplasty, arthrodesis, joint synovectomy)
- Trauma and Orthopaedics; amputations, fractures, dislocations, joint instabilities
- Plastics: soft tissue injuries, tendon injuries, peripheral nerve injuries and compressions, skin grafts, scar revision
- Chronic hand conditions; Dupuytrens contracture (following fasciectomy, fasciotomy), repetitive stress injuries, De Quervains and pain related conditions
Following a comprehensive hand assessment, a bespoke treatment programme is created to accomplish individual realistic goals, with an aim of facilitating an individual’s maximum functional ability.
Therapeutic interventions are varied and selected for the individual need.
Treatment can include:
- Provision, advice and recommendations on assistive devices to assist with hand function in activities of daily living
- Splint provision; to assist with symptom management, positioning, provide a soft tissue stretch, to aid hand exercise and functional assistance. Splint provision can be a bespoke thermoplastic splinting or provision of a pre-fabricated support, for the individual need
- Functional and manual exercises
- Scar management
- Oedema management
- Desensitisation and sensory re-education
- Pain management
- Advice and education on joint protection and energy conservation
- Support and advice on upper limb conditions
- Work specific rehabilitation
- Strengthening programme